Despite having about 50 motor vehicles per 1000 inhabitants, India has the dubious distinction of having more road fatalities than many other nations. Studies have shown that over 150,000 people succumb each year in traffic accidents.
Passenger safety, be it in regard to Passenger Vehicles (PVs) or Commercial Vehicles (CVs), is of paramount importance for Tata Motors and with this is in mind, we were the pioneering Indian automobile company to start in-house crash test facilities in August 1997.
These facilities have specialists that use advanced simulation tools to augment the safety of our vehicles. Investing in these facilities has paid-off over time. One example to cite is that of Tata Zest XT, receiving a 4-star rating from the Global NCAP, a car safety rating system established to encourage vehicle manufacturers to make safer vehicles as well as consumers to buy them. The 4-star ratings means the Zest’s performance is good in providing crash protection.
Commercial Vehicle Vertical:
When it comes to CVs, our Commercial Vehicle Business Unit (CVBU) is racing ahead with the development of safety-enhancing Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) solutions for its medium and heavy-duty vehicles. Working in collaboration with WABCO India, we became the first OEM to provide a host of specific safety technologies in our vehicles. They included Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Automatic Traction Control (ATC), Hill Start Aid (HSA), a Collision Mitigation System (CMS) and a Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), which work together to ensure the safety of the occupants. We also introduced Collision Mitigation System (CMS) and a Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) for PRIMA and SIGNA trucks that helps keep drivers safe on the roads.
Passenger Vehicle Vertical:
Our PV segment comprises of vehicles equipped with safety features such as:
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with EBS (Electronic Braking System) that helps prevent the car from slipping while brakes are applied
- Speed limiter that stops you from over-speeding
- Tyre pressure monitoring system to notify you of low air pressure
- Door interlock system that prevents them from opening while the vehicle is in motion
- Reflective tapes to keep your vehicle visible in the dark
- Seat belts for the driver and passengers
- High abrasion resistant cables to avoid starter cable short circuit
- CMVR approved safety components including RVM, lights, and wipers
Tata Motors has standardized the mandated safety norms in all the vehicles and follows the modular design to ensure safety of the occupants of its CVs and PVs. Safety has always been our priority and, we will continue to provide our customers with vehicles that will always ensure a safe journey.