13 January, 2006
Ratan N Tata Unveils New Long Wheel Base Premium Indigo & X-Over Concept At Auto Expo 2006
– Company launches fuel efficient & fast new Indica petrol with Xeta engine in sub-Rs.3 Lakh range
– Showcases new range of trucks & buses, including the new Tata Novus & Tata Ace
At a glittering ceremony today, Mr. Ratan N. Tata, Chairman of Tata Motors, unveiled the first Indian Limousine, with top-of-the-line features and the X-over, a Crossover Vehicle Concept which is a family tourer with the looks of a Sports Utility Vehicle.Speaking at the ceremony, Mr. Tata, Chairman of Tata Motors, said, ‘Tata Motors has just crossed the landmark of 50 years of automobile manufacturing. It has established a firm imprint in every segment of the automobile industry in the country and several markets abroad. Our vision is to become a meaningful international automobile company.’
The prime exhibit, the Long Wheel Base premium version of the Indigo – the Indigo XL – is a luxury sedan with a wheel base of 2650 mm – a stretch of 200 mm — and top-of-the-line features. The Indigo XL surpasses sedans in the premium and luxury segments for its rear seating space and comfort. The Indigo XL is scheduled for launch towards the latter half of 2006.
The Company launched a reconfigured and newly specd entry-level petrol range of the popular Indica in the form of the newIndica V2 Xeta (eXtra Fuel Efficiency, Torque Advantage Engine). The Xeta range is equipped with a 1.4 litre 70 PS power output @ 4800 rpm and 14 kg-m of torque at 2600 rpm petrol engine, which delivers a high fuel efficiency of 14 kmpl (under test conditions). The range comes with beige interiors, a first in its class. The Xeta range is available in five colours, three of which are exclusive to it. The Xeta range is priced between Rs.2.69 to Rs.3.65 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi.
On the passenger car range the display includes:
– the Indica V2 Turbo Diesel, with dual airbags and ABS
– the Indica Silhouette, a 3.5 litre V6 330 PS formula concept car, capable of doing 0 – 100 km in 4.5 seconds with a top speed of 270 kmph. This rear-wheel drive car has been configured as a space frame made of aeronautical steel, with 17” wheels, adjustable progressive rate pneumatic suspension, data logging system and high-accuracy GPS.
– The Armoured Sumo 4×4, powered by the 3-litre direct injection common rail (DICOR) diesel engine. The seating is configured for six armed personnel, with a roof hatch to accommodate two persons and four separate firing ports. The Company is also displaying a TL 4×4 application for defence services and the police.
Tata Motors, the 5th largest medium and heavy truck manufacturer and the second largest medium and heavy bus manufacturer in the world, has also on display its Luxury Bus range and the recently launched smallest truck, Tata Ace, and the largest truck, Tata Novus, along with a wide range of trucks and buses.
Mr. Ravi Kant, Managing Director of Tata Motors, said, ‘All these products will evoke significant consumer response and create a strong position in their respective segments. Going forward, Tata Motors is actively pursuing creation of newer and better products through its network of international development centres in India, South Korea, Spain & the UK where it recently opened its European Technical Centre.’
About Tata Motors
Tata Motors is India’s largest automobile company, with revenues of US$ 4.7 billion in 2004 05. With over 3 million Tata vehicles plying in India, it is the leader by far in commercial vehicles and the second largest in passenger cars. It is also the world’s fifth largest medium and heavy truck manufacturer and the second largest medium and heavy bus manufacturer. Tata cars, buses and trucks are already being marketed in several countries in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, and South East Asia and in Australia. The company acquired the Daewoo Commercial Vehicles Company, Korea’s second largest truck maker, in 2004. In 2005, it acquired a 21% stake in Hispano Carrocera, the reputed Spanish bus and coach manufacturer.
Tata Motors is one of the flagship companies of the Tata Group, which has a leadership position in Engineering, Materials, Energy, Consumer Products, Services and Communication, Hotels and Information Systems.